Subject: Re: High Number of Disconnections - Mac 10.5 and up
From: "Robertson, Joshua A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:28:39 +0000

If you're using Cisco one thing to check is that the MCS0 data rate is enabled.  I had a lot of problems with Macs and iThings dropping after I disabled the 802.11b rates and MCS0.  Per TAC's suggestion I re-enabled the MCS0 rate and have not been experiencing the problems since.  Apparently it has to do with the OS dropping the data rate to MCS0 to save power, but not checking if that rate is supported before doing it.

Josh Robertson
Network Systems Senior Engineer
Old Dominion University
Office of Computing & Communications Services
(757)683-5046
http://occs.odu.edu/