< Back to LISTSERV archives

LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

LICENSING Home

LICENSING  2001

LICENSING 2001

Distributing licensed software from an intranet

John Goerke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Dec 2001 17:43:55 -0600

I was curious if any of you out there were distributiing licensed software
to students (especially), faculty, and/or staff through a campus intranet.
We are looking at ways to validate someone's right to have the software via
our web-based interfaces to our SCT systems; and if they qualify either
point them to a download site or bring them to a page where they can print
off a form to turn in for their software.

Several obvious questions arise:
(1) is it feasible to download 5, 10, even 20MB files from a PPP or even DSL
home connection?
(2) would being authenticated via a student ID# and unique PIN satisfy
softwre company's licensing requirements, and also serve as an electronic
signature?
(3) What methods are you all using to handle these types of requests?

Thanks in advance ofr any information you are willing to share!

John Goerke
Director of University Re-Engineering
Saint Louis University