LICENSING 2001

Re: Licensing Workshops

Charlotte Lenox <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:34:45 -0600

Yes, I for one would be interested in Licensing Workshops.  Handling the
software licensing for Baylor has recently been added to my job description.
(As if software licensing isn't a job unto itself!)
Charlotte Lenox

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Rodney Petersen
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 2:59 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LICENSING] Licensing Workshops

I am curious if members of this list think there would be sufficient
interest
in "Licensing Workshops" for individuals in higher education responsible for
reviewing or negotiating software licenses.  I believe that the growing
complexity of software licensing, including the influence of laws like UCITA
and initiatives to reform the copyright act, warrant some serious
professional
development for IT staff, procurement authorities, and general counsel.
Changing business models, potentially including the use of application
service
providers, also necessitate that we are both better educated and perhaps can
speak from a common set of core principles when it comes to our negotiations
with vendors.

As some of you may know, the Association of Research Libraries developed
regional workshops a few years ago in response to the growing dependence on
licenses in the library setting that govern access to electronic databases
and
increasingly for use of digital materials.  Those workshops have been very
successful.  More information about the ARL program, including a link to a
useful set of "Principles for Licensing Electronic Resources", is available
at
http://www.arl.org/scomm/licensing/index.html

If there is interest in the development of a similar for software licensing,
would be happy to present a proposal to EDUCAUSE and welcome the assistance
or
support of others who might be interested in shaping such a program.  Please
share your reactions or ideas with the entire list or respond to me
individually, if you prefer.

Thanks,

Rodney Petersen
Director, Policy and Planning