< Back to LISTSERV archives

LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

LICENSING Home

LICENSING  2001

LICENSING 2001

Re: Software Licensing meeting at the EDUCASUE meeting

Marj Kohli <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:36:17 -0400

At 08:22 AM 6/21/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Larry,
>
>A specific area of interest for us is licensing software for use on
>student-owned computers.  About 75% of our students own computers.  About
>an equal percentage of our undergraduates live in dorms with network
>connections, perhaps higher since we're building dorms.  One of our
>colleges has decided to halve the number of computer in class/lab settings
>in favor of licensing copies of software for their students' computers.
>Fortunately the software is available for a variety of operating systems.
>As laptops and wireless networks become more prevalent there is less need
>for computer labs if class software can be provided on or to these
>computers.
>
>Karen Lukas
>Software Manager for Computing Services
>Carnegie Mellon University
>412-268-5157 (phone)
>412-268-4987 (FAX)

Larry,

I agree with Karen. Waterloo is also trying to license software for our
students at "reasonable prices" for their own computers. We have companies
that talk to us about $150-$200 a copy for a piece of software a student
might only use for a single course. We have others that are so totally
reasonable we just love them. These are the people who license the software
to us for $6-$30 a copy.

If software is reasonable the students are very happy to be legal and buy
it -- some say it should not cost more than a text book. However, others
use this rule of thumb -- if the software costs less than a case of beer
students will buy it -- no questions asked.

Marj Kohli
Site License Coordinator
Information Systems and Technology
University of Waterloo