LICENSING 2001

Microsoft Licensing

Con Dietz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 14:50:00 -0500

I have been told on occasion that "I just don't get it."  Sometimes it is
even true!  Now, I would say to Microsoft, "You just don't get it."

Why is Microsoft trying (I hope unsuccessfully) to get all of us (higher
education institutions) to lease software annually instead of buying a
license to use?

Don't they know that:
1) it will cost us more,
2) not everyone needs the latest and greatest every year,
3) even if we wanted the latest and greatest it might not be efficient to
learn about the new software every year,
4) all of us (that I know about) collectively (through Educause) and
individually, want to, and take steps to, prevent unauthorized use,
5) we want graduates to be cognizant of the software used in their careers,
and
6) it is in the best interests of Microsoft to have higher education teach
students to use their software.

I could go on, but at some point we (higher education) will be forced to use
other software.  I have tried to talk to Microsoft representatives at
multiple levels regarding the fact that their site licensing policies will
cause us to spend money we don't have and have licenses we just don't need.
They fail to get it.

Which is it?
1)  I just don't get it, or
2)  Microsoft just doesn't get it.

How can we have an impact?  What could Educause do in support of it's
members?