< Back to LISTSERV archives

LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

LICENSING Home

LICENSING  2001

LICENSING 2001

Re: Microsoft Licensing

Bryant Larry W Prof USAFA/DFET <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:16:41 -0600

I don't mind the "subscription" model to their software (we've been doing
this for years with everyone else--Mathematica, MathCAD, AutoDesk, etc.),
but what "is" starting to worry me are the changes to the Campus License
Agreement each year.  It was definitely more cost effective for us at the
USAF Academy to purchase the original Campus License Agreement Version 1 two
years ago, since we were requiring our students to purchase Windows and
Office Pro previously; plus we had to provide the Backoffice CALs.  So it
saved both the students and the campus money to "lease" our software.

When the Service Academies began negotiating a "joint license" with
Microsoft over 4 years ago, we insisted upon an upper bound to the price
increase each year (which turned out to be 10%).  However, Microsoft has now
changed the conditions of the Campus License Agreement each year, adding
more products, deleting some products, and now making all products under
Version 3 ala-cart.  With all the changes to the agreement each year, we may
no longer be able to make similar price comparisons.

Fortunately, this year we have the option to just "renew" our Version 2
license, but I don't believe we will be able to do that next year.  I want
some assurance that we will not constantly be paying more for less with each
new iteration of the agreement.

Larry W. Bryant
Director, Academic Computing
2354 Fairchild Dr, Suite 6F9