LICENSING 2001

Re: Microsoft Licensing

Leslie Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:26:57 -0400

I haven't yet read the entire CA3 license, but I can tell you that this past
year on CA2 has been a wonderful thing for us.  Yes, it's expensive.
However, it has permitted us to do the following:
** free up staff time because we no longer have to count licenses
** acquire/install multiple versions of a single product (i.e., Office 2000
in labs, Office 97 in offices)
** move ahead with Back Office applications without having to buy more CALs
** accommodate the last-minute panic calls from faculty ("I need 25 more
license of Visual Studio by Monday!!")
** accommodate our faculty's desire to standardize primarily on MS products
** permit adequate licensing for classroom software that is needed for only
a few students but in many labs

I was displeased with the Home Use portion of CA2 because it's far too
restrictive to be practical, so we chose not to even offer it.  As for
student workers, we included our computer lab assistants in the count but
nearly all other student workers are thru work-study and I doubt (rather, I
hope) they do not need to be counted in the new agreement.

I fought this method of licensing for a long time, but I can say that the
stress, record keeping, and nickel-and-dime nonsense that we were dealing
with has been drastically reduced via this agreement.  That is enough for
me, as the cost of the agreement is less than it would have been to hire
another tech support staffer just to deal with the software acquisition and
licensing issues.

I do think, though, that Educause needs to stay on top of this issue, with
Microsoft and with others.

- Leslie
Ms. Leslie Kaufman
Director of Information Technology