LICENSING 2001

Re: Microsoft Licensing

Beverly Abbey <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:33:04 -0500

We had several conversations with MS regarding student employees. We ended
up counting (/2) the workers who were in positions described by our student
employment person as "needing computer skills". The biggest problem I had
with the issue is the /2 - by policy, students NEVER work more than a 10
hour week on our campus, therefore part-time for student workers should be
/4. Otherwise, we've been happy with CA2. I have questions about CA3...but I
am waiting...
Abbey

-----Original Message-----
From: Linda Hutchison [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 8:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Microsoft Licensing

At 05:56 PM 7/10/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I've read at least one other email in this round where someone else
>thought that student employees weren't part of the Fac/Staff FTE count in
>Campus Agreement 2.  For those of you with Campus Agreement 1 or 2, did
>you include Student employees in your Faculty Staff FTE count?  Did I just
>miss something that big during my review of Campus Agreement 2?

http://www.microsoft.com/education/license/campus.asp
Selected departments entered into Campus Agreement 2 during this calendar
year.  We calculated FTEs as documented in the Overview document at the
above URL (which provides the formula for calculating FTEs based on numbers
reported by the institution on the IPEDS report).  The IPEDS report does
not include casual hourly student employees.  We worked closely with our
Microsoft campus representative and asked many specific questions
throughout the process.  It was not our understanding - nor his - that
casual hourly student employees should be included under agreement 2.

Linda J. Hutchison  - Interim Associate Director
Office of Academic Information Technologies
291 Durham Center               Ph:    515-294-5290
Iowa State University           FAX:   515-294-1717
Ames, IA 50011-2251             Email: [log in to unmask]