LICENSING 2001

Re: Microsoft Licensing

dcox <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:15:27 -0500

Glen,
I just finished doing an in depth analysis of Microsoft's agreements with
about 2 dozen universities with undergraduate student populations of between
5,000-15,000.  Of the 26 schools that I talked to I couldn't find a single
one that participated in the student portion of the campus agreement.

the bottom line for these schools is that it is just too expensive, and the
rules too restrictive to enable them to offer a service, no matter how
helpful it would be to have a truly ubiquitous platform of personal
productivity software.

If you would like I can send you the results of our research.  Normally we
charge for this information, but if you promise not to share, it I don't
have a problem giving it to you.

Darren J. Cox
VP Strategic Development
IQ Universe

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Software Licensing Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Thurman, Glen M
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 3:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [LICENSING] Microsoft Licensing

Coming back to Microsoft licensing...

Is there anyone currently on the list who has either Campus Agreement 2.0 or
3.0 with the student option and distributes software via their campus
bookstore? If so, I'd be interested in talking with you offlist. We're
playing "what if" with a number of scenarios on our campus and would be
curious to see what others' experience has been.

--Glen
Glen M. Thurman
Administrative Assistant - Academic Computing Services
University of Kansas
http://www.people.ku.edu/~gthurman