< Back to LISTSERV archives

LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

LICENSING Home

LICENSING  2001

LICENSING 2001

MS Campus Agreement 2.0 and HW Purchases

Debbie Nanni <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:51:46 -0400

We're new to the Microsoft Campus Agreement this year.

Before we entered into the agreement, our Microsoft sales representative
assured us that desktop integrators such as Dell were 'on board' with
the agreement.  We were told that when purchasing new desktop or laptop
devices, we would be able to save money in the following way.  The MS
sales representative said we would be able to order a system with a
lower-priced operating system (e.g., ME or WIN 98) but have the
integrator ship the machine with Win 2000.  He insisted that there would
to be no additional charge for WIN 2000 since the upgrade would be
covered under the Campus Agreement.  Because this appeared to be
consistent with the terms of the Campus Agreement and because the sales
representative represents over 100 schools already on the Campus
Agreement, we accepted this information as accurate.

Now that we have the Campus Agreement in place, Dell is refusing to
provide us with the 'upgraded' operating system at no additional
charge.  Instead, Dell says that paying for Windows 98 but receiving a
system with Windows 2000 installed amounts to having them apply a custom
image.  Further, there is a significant cost that Dell wants to charge
us to apply that image to each new system.

Up until now, Dell has been our preferred provider for desktop systems.
However, we have made a significant investment in the MS Campus
Agreement and feel that we are not getting full value from it.  We are
interested in hearing whether any other schools that have the Campus
Agreement in place have been successful with getting hardware
integrators to charge them for Windows ME or 98 but ship the new system
with Windows 2000 installed.

Thank you,
Debbie Nanni
--