LICENSING 2001

Meeting at Educause

Larry Rapagnani <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:08:33 -0500

Dear Colleagues:

I just to remind everyone about our meeting time and location. Is is:

                Software Licensing
                Sunday, October 28
                3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
                Room 162

                This Constituent Group focuses on the issues involved in
blending the corporate interests of
                software providers with the unique licensing needs of
higher ed institutions. Among the
                challenges are environments in which users use different
computers in more than one venue
                (public lab, dorm room, office, home, research lab), and
user identities and software needs
                change from one semester to the next. Discussion may
focus on how to reach consensus on
                higher education's needs and how to formulate a position
we can all take to software
                providers.

In past years we have gone around the room and given everyone the time
to tell their story about licensing issues. This year I ran the concept
of having a vendor (Microsoft) do a presentation - but that concept was
not well received by the group. So, I won't attempt to do that. I am
sure vendors will be in attendance at our meeting as they have been in
past years.

This year I would like to structure our discussion somewhat. I don't
want to eliminate all the good conversations we have been having - as
they are extremely valuable - but there are some issues/questions I
would like to hear your thoughts on. These issues are related to
determining what we license and support on our campus.

How do you determine what software to support (define support)? Who pays
for the support? How do you determine what software is made available in
public assess labs? Classrooms? ResHalls? What mechanisms do you employ
on your campus to get at the "core" software needed to support the
curriculum? Do you measure use patterns? What processes do
colleges/departments/faculty/students follow to identify software needs?
How do you handle software needs for administrative applications? These
are just a few of questions we are facing. I thought if we gave some
consideration to these issues prior to the meeting we could learn about
"effective practices" that make sense. You represent the experts in this
area.

If you have others you would like to consider - just let us know. I
would like to make this time period as effective and worthwhile as
possible

Larry
 Larry Rapagnani, Ph.D.
 University of Notre Dame