< Back to LISTSERV archives

LICENSING@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

LICENSING Home

LICENSING  2001

LICENSING 2001

Re: Microsoft Academic alliance

"Stephen D. Franklin" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:21:17 -0700

> My apologies if this has been discussed in this forum or not; I don't
> recall seeing it.
>
> Can anyone comment on the Microsoft Developers Network (MSDN) Academic
> Alliance programme? I can't imagine it's as inclusive as it looks, but it
> *seems* to offer pretty much all Microsoft products for use by students,
> instructors, and researchers for $800  annually. More information is at
> http://www.msdnaa.net/whoweare.asp.
>
> We currently participate in Campus Agreement 2.0; this appears to compete
> (favourably) with that programme.
>
> Any thoughts?

I expect that Microsoft considers the MSDN Academic Alliance program
as complementing rather than competing with the Campus Agreement
Programs.

According to the "Fact Sheet" <http://register.msdnaa.net/factsheet.asp>,
the program is "designed specifically for academic labs, faculty, and
students in the curriculum areas of Computer Science, Engineering,
and Information Systems to make it easier and less expensive to get
Microsoft developer tools, platforms, and servers for instructional
and research purposes."  Thus, the program applies to only a limited
number of academic units and covers only specific software.
Last time I looked, for example, MS Office was not included.

-- sdf

Stephen D. Franklin
Network & Academic Computing Services  +  Information and Computer Science
                          University of California
Irvine, California 92697-2225             Irvine, California 92697-3425
Phone: 949/824-5154  Fax: 949/824-2069  Pager: 949/699-7076
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.nacs.uci.edu/indiv/franklin/