LICENSING 2001

Re: Windows XP Home Edition

Martin Mortensen <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 17:47:18 -0400

Here is the reality as I understand it after attending a couple of Microsoft
presentations on XP:

The "Pro" edition of XP is slated for multi license offers from Microsoft
i.e., Campus Agreement, but "Home" is not.

"Home" is only available in a OEM license format from Microsoft to PC
Manufacturers (OEM's).

Which may bring a number of unrelated support problems up, more so than
licensing issues, because you cannot get "Home" in any form of licensing
agreement, being a non-OEM entity.

From a support perspective, I see at least one problem; as the student
population brings in their own new PC equipment and have the "home" edition
of XP on their hard disk pre-installed, they will face the fact, that XP
Home edition do not have networking authentication (i.e. domain logons)
features build in. They would have to upgrade to the Pro version in order to
get that.

Enjoy ;-)

Martin

Martin Mortensen