LICENSING 2001

Re: Windows XP Home Edition

Chuck Sechler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:56:46 -0400

At 05:47 PM 10/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Here is the reality as I understand it after attending a couple of Microsoft
>presentations on XP:
>
>The "Pro" edition of XP is slated for multi license offers from Microsoft
>i.e., Campus Agreement, but "Home" is not.
>
>"Home" is only available in a OEM license format from Microsoft to PC
>Manufacturers (OEM's).

I'm afraid I already understood that reality, in my original post. The
thrust of my point is that Microsoft has decided to remove a program that
clearly is an upgrade path from Windows program editions we have been
entitled to, Windows 9x/Me. On the following Microsoft web page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/default.asp

it lists a link at the bottom on "moving from Windows Me to Windows XP."

Taking that link gets you to

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/default.asp

where you can "find out if you qualify for an upgrade".

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/default.asp

and sure enough, Windows 98 SE and Me users are qualified to upgrade to
Windows XP.

I guess my position is that if Windows XP is an upgrade path from the above
systems and if at least some schools have a license that allows for "32 bit
operating systems and upgrades to these" for the life of their contract,
then Microsoft is in error to remove this from us. There may be only one in
20 schools who would choose to use the Home edition as an option for Home
users, but if they so chose then it should have been there. My argument is
that many home users just need to do a bit of email and word processing and
do not need super security or to log in to a LAN or built in multiprocessor
support, and the additional administrative issues in setting up their home
computer with XP Pro.

It is as though Microsoft is saying that "you get all upgrades to your 32
bit operating systems, EXCEPT you don't get it for Win XP Home edition
because we have chosen to not create an academic SKU for it. "  My feeling
is, then create it.