LICENSING 2001

Re: Windows XP Home Edition

Martin Mortensen <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 10:45:23 -0400

Chuck,

I agree with you, on the SKU issue, I see some very debilitating issues
around upgrade paths as you mention and new "consumer" marketed equipment
coming in to a campus as student machines. However I think we are faced with
an uphill battle. When I talked to Microsoft about this, they made it
absolute clear that Home is for quote: "home usage" directed towards the
consumer market, and as such it could not be covered by any of the Microsoft
licensing agreements (except OEM).

The migration path from Microsoft's perspective seems limited to me,
particular in terms of user groups. It is as if they only see two tiers
here: First tier, professionals i.e., academic/corporate users in need of
volume deals and second tier, the consumer market where it is up to the
OEM's to provide pre-installation. Furthermore, since the XP home version
has less ability to be re-installed and registration with Microsoft is
mandatory compared to a multi licensed version of XPPro.

An additional argument from Microsoft for not including XPHome is a part of
their efforts to combat piracy. Which is why I think that the battle is
going to be difficult.

Martin