CIO February 2001

Re: Access to student records

Phil Isensee <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:23:31 -0800

We do not limit faculty access to individual students data in our student
record system (we have debated doing so for the last ten years - one key
argument that has kept access open is how to provide advising for the
student who wishes to change colleges if you cannot view the transcript
data). All individuals who have access to any enterprise data sign a request
for access form which has University policy on it. Here's a pointer to the
form, the Code of Responsibility & Conduct, and Policy:
http://www.orst.edu/dept/computing/banner/univacc.pdf

Phil
--- Phil Isensee, Director, Central Computing, Oregon State U Info Svcs
--- EMail: [log in to unmask]
--- WWURL: http://osu.orst.edu/admin/cc/isenseep.html
--- USmail: 217 Milne Computer Center, Corvallis, OR  97331-5202
--- MaBell: (541) 737-3325  Fax: (541) 737-4484
-----Original Message-----
From: Laura Grandgenett [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 8:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CIO] Access to student records

Hello everyone,
     We are currently working building up our administrative system advising
module but timeline is looking a little far out.  In the meantime, we can
give our faculty access to student records and transcripts, and class lists,
via the existing system but cannot limit who sees what.  All faculty would
have access to all students.  The administration would like to give this
access to the faculty (instead of printed copies) but there is resistance on
the part of some administrators, due to worries about possible information
abuse by some faculty.  I was hoping some of you could provide some
enlightening feedback on this issue.

If any of you are at an institution that gives read-only access to all
student records to all faculty, could you please let me know if potential
abuse is controlled somehow (sign-off sheets, it's in the contract, assumed
professionism, etc).

You can reply back to me at

Any information or suggestions about this issue would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Laura

Laura Grandgenett
Chief Technology Officer