View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  July 2001

CIO July 2001

ACM SIGUCCS Computing Services Management Symposium

Mike Yohe <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:33:53 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Colleagues -

I have been asked to serve as program chair for the Computing Services
Management Symposium in the spring of 2002 (March 10-12).  This
Symposium is sponsored by the ACM Special Interest Group on University
and College Computer Services.

For those who are not familiar with this Symposium, it is an
opportunity for middle and upper higher education computing services
management to connect with colleagues at other institutions in an
informal setting.  For more information about SIGUCCS and the
conference, take a look at < http://www.acm.org/siguccs >.

For the past several years, conference breakout sessions have primarily
been facilitated discussions on topics of interest.  There have
historically been three tracks; generally one for management, one
for technology, and one for services.  That format has worked well,
and we'll continue it this year.

Here are some suggestions for tracks and topics:

   Technology
     Wireless Networking
     Personal Digital Assistant Support
     Authentication
     Data warehousing
     Controlling Bandwidth Usage
     Integrated Communication (Voice over IP, etc.)
     Securing the Enterprise

   Management
     Service Level Agreements
     Handling the Instant Experts
     Advisory Structures
     RFPs
     Strategic planning
     Stretching the IT dollar
     Inter-institutional collaboration
     Project management and tracking
     Time management
     Handling the e-mail avalanche
     Disaster Recovery Planning
     Cost/Benefit Analysis

   Services
     Lifetime e-mail accounts
     Web access to personal data
     Portals, intranets, etc.
     Automatic software updates
     Middleware
     Web Authoring Tools
     Training: In-house; Outsourced; Multimedia
     Instructional Support Software
     Teleconferencing and Other Distance Connections

I am asking three things of you:

1)  Your participation.  If you would be interested in being a Track
    Chair or a Discussion Facilitator, please let me know.

2)  Your ideas.  If you see ideas for tracks and sessions in the above
    list that interest you, please vote for them.  If not, please send
    your suggestions.

3)  Your interest.  Please consider coming to CSMS 2002, and bringing
    other members of your management team.  That will add further value
    to one of the most useful computing services management conferences
    going.  I suggest you sign up as early as you can, though; the
    conference is small (around 150 attendees, typically) and space
    is limited.  There is a good chance we will need to close the
    registration.

Please respond directly to me, not to the lists.  I will be on vacation
until July 23, so don't expect a response right away.  I'll process
accumulated e-mail when I return and get back to you shortly after
that.

Cheers!

- Mike
--
J. Michael Yohe
Executive Director, Electronic Information Services