email client software

"Linda J. McNamara" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:39:08 -0700

Here at Colorado State University our standard email client for our
faculty/staff has been Netscape Messenger 4.7x for about the past five
years.  We are looking to upgrade to a new desktop client and are
reviewing:  Eudora, Netscape Messenger 7.0, Mozilla, and Outlook Express.
Even though we have pockets of folks using Outlook using an Exchange
server, we have ruled it out as a contender for our overall campus standard
(too many Unix and non Windows groups).  Our students use WebMail, formerly
by Infinity, now a Captaris products.

I'd appreciate any feedback on what others are using for faculty/staff
and/or if anyone can comment on the ones I've listed.  The client we choose
must be available for both Windows and Mac.  Thanks in advance.

PS - we've developed a criteria checklist posted at:
http://www.colostate.edu/acns/uitss/ (see the PDF under the section labeled
standards).

--
Linda J. McNamara, Associate Director
Academic Computing and Networking Services