Re: Reminder: we meet Tuesday, 2 PM -4 PM at Educause in Ballroom B

Teri O'Rourke <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:17:00 -0800

Sorry I won't be able to attend the meeting on Tuesday.  I will be in
one of the afternoon pre-conference seminars.  So here is my feedback on
this issue.   I'm not sure what good it is to own a license that has no
upgrade protection unless you need to continue to use the license for
some period of time while you transition to another product.  If that is
the primary motivator for seeking this change to CA then I think I'd be
inclined to seek agreement from Microsoft that CA customers would own
the then current version after a period of years on CA as Marg suggests
below.  We should be comparing CA and Select to make some determination
on the correct number of years you'd have to be on CA to add up to what
you'd pay under Select with software assurance.  We should make our
comparisons using the single product CA sku's rather than bundled
product sku's.

I am looking forward to seeing you at the meeting! Our agenda will be:

2:00            brief introductions by everyone attending
2:15            topic brainstorm (general licensing issues, license
mgmt
best practices,  vendor                         specific issues,
etc and then quickly prioritize)
2:30-4  discussion
4:00            adjourn to reception

One issue I am going to raise at our meeting for discussion came out
of
a conversation with Microsoft on their Campus Agreement policy of
subscription based (rental) licensing and buyout approaches; I was
proposing a frequent flyer model such that the Campus owned the
license
after 5 years. Microsoft would like feedback on this topic space.
Which
is more important to us: an improved buy-out method in the current
form
of Campus Agreement or a permanent license version of Campus
Agreement?
And if there were two forms of Campus Agreement (one based on the
current rental model and one based on lease-to-own) under what
circumstances would the institution choose one over the other. Note,
rental model is likely to always be less expensively priced. Please
note, if this topic is of interest to you and you can not attend, just
send me your e-mail answer mailto:[log in to unmask]

See you Tuesday!

Marg
Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
FAC 210<--NEW         (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin