Update on Sun program

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:53:55 -0600

While at Educause last week, I checked in with Sun to see if they have
established educational pricing for their project Orion (Java Enterprise
and Java Desktop). Commercial sites are paying $100 per full time
employee (count all full time employees, ignore all part time
employees). If you get both packages, it is $150 per full time. This is
an annual price.

It looks like the educational pricing will be $50 per full time faculty
plus full time A&P (admin and professional category in ipeds). We would
not count part time or other categories such as clerical. This would be
annual.

Java desktop is their Linux desktop plus Star Office plus Adabas D plus
Gnome, etc.

Java Enterprise is their LDAP, identity server, web server, mail and
calendaring etc.

There may be an additional discount if you get both, as commercial gets
one.

For Sun sites looking at this, what are your thoughts?

Here at UT Austin, we are large. So these numbers still look large
(daunting) to me. I was willing to accept 90% discount and to only count
full time faculty OR better. Preferably much better!

Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
FAC 210<--NEW         (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin