Do any of you have word on the educational program for Red Hat Linux?
Here is what I have been hearing:
- expect a formal program end of next week (e.g., Dec4 or Dec 5)
- expected to have both site licensing and per unit pricing
- have heard that student site licensing may be $2500/year (no telephone
or online support, just updates).
- have heard that servers will be $50 and desktops/laptops will be $25.
Updates only, no telephone or online support
- if you want support, then near list price
I am encouraging Red Hat to consider providing telephone support to
central IT organizations if they will triage calls for the campus. Also
quantity discounts since it costs money to do PO's (and for them to
Of course, until there is a formal program, these are all speculation
There is also the fedora project for those who prefer a community
approach and no license cost.
Anyone have a good scoop on what to expect?
Margaret Knox [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
FAC 210<--NEW (512) 475-9300/9224
Director, (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin
Participation and subscription information for this EDUCAUSE Constituent Group discussion list can be found at http://www.educause.edu/cg/.