Re: Red Hat

"Montefiori, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:23:54 -0600

I've received the following feedback from Red Hat.  The information
below may or may not change once the program becomes finalized:

> 1) Do you offer a volume licensing option for Red Hat to
education sites?

The licensing for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Academic is all based on
a per system pricing for faculty and staff. The discounts are built
in; there are no additional discounts based on volume.

> 2) If so, what is the minimum order quantity and associated price
> per license?

Workstations/Desktops - $25/system
Servers - $50/system
There is no minimum order to get these prices.
We will offer a site agreement for student workstations only for
$2,500 (unlimited # of workstations).

> 3) Is there tiered pricing available? What are the order
> quantity ranges and associated license prices?

Tiered pricing is not available. Pricing is fixed as seen in
previous answer.

> 4) Is media included with each license order?

I don't think media is included with each license order; or for any
EDU order. This pricing is based on our Basic versions of our
software, and that typically
does not include media. Everything is download only.

> 5) Is documentation included with each license order?

No

> 6) Is technical support included with each license?

No. Only access to Red Hat Network is provided with each license.

> 7) Are licenses perpetual?
>
> 8) If licenses are not perpetual, do they require an annual
renewal?

Subscriptions need to be renewed each year.

> 9) Is product maintenance available?

Yes, maintenance is available and included with each system
purchased through Red Hat Network.

> 10) Are there restrictions on who may use the software (faculty,
> staff, students)?

The only restriction is for the site agreement, which is for
students' workstations only.

> 11) Are there restrictions on where the software may be installed
> (Vanderbilt owned machines versus systems owned by Vanderbilt
faculty,
> staff, students)?

I don't think that there are any restrictions.

--On Wednesday, November 26, 2003 12:49 PM -0600 Marg Knox
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do any of you have word on the educational program for Red Hat
> Linux?
>
> Here is what I have been hearing:
> - expect a formal program end of next week (e.g., Dec4 or Dec 5)
> - expected to have both site licensing and per unit pricing
> - have heard that student site licensing may be $2500/year (no
> telephone or online support, just updates).
> - have heard that servers will be $50 and desktops/laptops will
> be $25. Updates only, no telephone or online support
> - if you want support, then near list price
>
> I am encouraging Red Hat to consider providing telephone support
> to central IT organizations if they will triage calls for the
> campus. Also quantity discounts since it costs money to do PO's
> (and for them to handle).
>
> Of course, until there is a formal program, these are all
> speculation and possibilities.
>
> There is also the fedora project for those who prefer a community
> approach and no license cost.
>
> Anyone have a good scoop on what to expect?
>
> Happy Thanksgiving!!
>
> Regards, Marg
>
> _____________________________________
> Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
> Information Technology Services (ITS)
> FAC 210<--NEW         (512) 475-9300/9224
> Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
> ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
> The University of Texas at Austin

> http://www.educause.edu/cg/.

Email: [log in to unmask]