FW: FW: [LICENSING] Red Hat plan. Question from UPenn

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 5 Dec 2003 14:49:07 -0600

Here are the answers from our account rep in central region...
_____________________________________
Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
FAC 210<--NEW         (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin

This is accurate except for the fact that you get Mangement Module
instead of Update Module with the purchase of the Base Package.

>*BUT -- the Base Package cannot be purchased by itself - it has to be
>purchased with an option to allow for use on university-owned
>computers, either the Fixed Option or the Unlimited Option.

This is not correct. You can purchase the Base Package by itself for
$2,500.

>* The Fixed Option for WS would cost $2500 per year for the Base
>Package plus $2000 per year for the *initial 80 required WS units*,
>plus $25 per unit per year for any units over 80.  This would allow for

>deployment to an unlimited number of personally-owned faculty, staff,
>or student computers (because of that Base Package), and 80 (or
whatever...)
>university-owned workstations.   They get access to updates, but they
do
>not get support.

This is correct for Fixed with WS. The Fixed option is simply $2,500 for

the Base Package + $25 per additional WS system. It does not have to be
a minimum purchase of 80 systems.

>* The Fixed Option for AS would cost $2500 per year for the Base
>Package plus $2000 per year for the *initial 40 required AS units*,
>plus $50 per unit per year for any units over 40.  This would allow for

>deployment to an unlimited number of personally-owned faculty, staff,
>or student computers (because of that Base Package), and 40 (or
>whatever...) university-owned servers/workstations.  They get access to

>updates, but they do not get support.

This is correct. Again, it is $2,500 for the Base Package + $50 per AS
system.

--
Mark Vincent
Account Manager