Re: Citrix, Microsoft & students

Carole Hirthler <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:48:51 -0500

I was just asked to investigate this issue.  We have some employee's
who access a Citrix server for all of their desktop software.  I believe
that's the way it works.  The question that came to me was - would it
be legal to access their Microsoft products from another location, say
from a conference on a laptop.  Here's what our MS reseller told me:

IF the devices are institutionally owned and the department per say is
purchasing licensing for a particular user, and the user is then
authorized
to download from the Citrix server then from a Microsoft perspective its
legal.  The User should have there standard, Windows, Exchange cal's
and SQL
if applicable but that's it.

Carole

On Wednesday, December 10, 2003, at 08:15  PM, Shereen Fogel wrote:

> Is anyone using Citrix to deliver Microsoft Office to students
> remotely?
>
> Our college currently has a FCCC Microsoft campus agreement.
> Using Citrix students are would not download
> the software but are using it thru a terminal services session.  Would
> this
> be
> considered a violation of the agreement?  We have not signed up for the
> student option,
> but the software is technically never installed on the students
> computers.
>
> We have also purchased a Window 2000 Server and received the
> appropriate TS
> CAL licenses through our campus agreement to handle our student and
> faculty
> population.  Access to this server is totally restricted to accounts
> within
> our campus domain, and there is no anonymous login possible.  However,
> it is
> possible to access this server from any computer on, or off our campus
> with
> this licensing configuration using RDP or ICA protocols.
>

> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Shereen Fogel, Ph.D.
> Associate Dean, Instructional Technology
> Glendale Community College
> email:  [log in to unmask]
> phone:  818.240.1000 x5179

> http://www.educause.edu/cg/.