Re: Student Campus Wide Agreement Media Duplication and Distribution Options

"Lenox, Charlotte" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:02:42 -0600

Baylor University added the student option to our MSCA last summer.  It
has worked very well.  We distribute the media through our campus
Computer Store.  We do not produce the media ourselves; we buy it
through NACSCORP, the distributor who handled the MSCA for us.  I won't
quote you the price we get, but it is very favorable.  We do not make
the software available for download over the network.  That seemed too
complicated in terms of limiting to one download per student and not
allowing even one download if the student had already purchased in the
Computer Store or vice versa.

We explain the terms of the agreement and we check the student ID's
through our system to verify enrollment before allowing them to
purchase.  We do not require them to sign anything, but I believe we are
probably in error by not doing so.  I'm asking my Store Manager to start
requiring a signature.  The point-of-sale system in our Computer Store
has been programmed to allow only one sale of each of these SKU's to a
student. (We have only three SKU's of this nature--Windows, Office for
PC, and Office for Mac.  These are the only products on our student
option.)  Of course, if/when a new version comes out, that's a different
SKU, and the student can buy again.

Thanks, Charlotte

Charlotte Lenox
IT Business Manager