Re: Microsoft Campus Program

Chropufka Mark <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:52:37 -0500

Jane,

Microsoft is very difficult to negotiate with period.  In our phone
conversations with them and our general counsel's office; Microsoft
representatives will even admit that some of their terms are
unreasonable, but they will not change the contract.  Two years ago,
however, they did make several minor changes; one I can recall was the
jurisdiction of legal proceedings; instead of Washington; they left it
blank.

Perhaps if we banded together as a national conglomerate of universities
and other non-for-profit institutions, we could leverage our purchasing
power and attain more favorable terms from Microsoft.  Yet until
Microsoft has some true competition, we are all dealing with a behemoth
non-negotiating entity.

With respect to pricing; we found that through several rounds of
canvassing vendors we were able to attain some cost savings.  Some
resellers receive special incentives from Microsoft and may pass this
savings on to you.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Chropufka