Site License Pricing Models

Mary Griffin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:54:18 -0500

Hello,

We are in the process of restructuring our campus software licensing
strategy. We currently have a cost-recovery model where we purchase
licenses centrally at a discounted price and then charge individuals or
departments a fee at the time we distribute the licenses. For some
licenses this model works well, particularly in the case of a volume
license that can be resold at a discounted unit price. However, the
model becomes more challenging when we have an unlimited,
enterprise-wide license. The question then becomes one of how to share
the costs equitably.

We are looking to this group to get an idea of "best practices" and if
you would respond to these questions your help would be greatly
appreciated.

1. Is your program managed as a cost recovery operation?

2. Are enterprise-wide licenses funded centrally or are there instances
where you attempt to recover the cost by charging individual departments?

3. If you charge departments individually, do you pass on only the cost
of the license or do you charge an amount that seeks to offset
administrative overhead?

4. Do you charge departments a flat fee for unlimited licenses, or do
you distribute licenses on a per-unit basis to them?

5. Are you partnering with any outside firms for software licensing
management and/or distribution?

Thank you for your assistance.

Mary Griffin