Re: Site License Pricing Models

Margaret H Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:48:42 -0600

Please see below...>> sets off my answers...

_____________________________________
Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
COM 17                (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin

-----Original Message-----
From: Mary Griffin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 3:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LICENSING] Site License Pricing Models

Hello,

We are in the process of restructuring our campus software licensing
strategy. We currently have a cost-recovery model where we purchase
licenses centrally at a discounted price and then charge individuals or
departments a fee at the time we distribute the licenses. For some
licenses this model works well, particularly in the case of a volume
license that can be resold at a discounted unit price. However, the
model becomes more challenging when we have an unlimited,
enterprise-wide license. The question then becomes one of how to share
the costs equitably.

We are looking to this group to get an idea of "best practices" and if
you would respond to these questions your help would be greatly
appreciated.

1. Is your program managed as a cost recovery operation?
>> yes

2. Are enterprise-wide licenses funded centrally or are there instances
where you attempt to recover the cost by charging individual
departments?
>> both. Two programs are centrally funded (we use student fees to cover
our Microsoft program and our basic packages of antivirus, etc). Other
programs are covered by the participants.

3. If you charge departments individually, do you pass on only the cost
of the license or do you charge an amount that seeks to offset
administrative overhead?
>> we include the overhead

4. Do you charge departments a flat fee for unlimited licenses, or do
you distribute licenses on a per-unit basis to them?
>> it depends. In centrally funded ones, unlimited. In most other cases,
it is per unit. We have a couple of programs where if the dept gets to
some large number, it is capped.

5. Are you partnering with any outside firms for software licensing
management and/or distribution?
>> We also have an outsourced campus computer store and they handle some
of the programs for us where inventory is involved.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mary Griffin