Re: Site License Pricing Models

Marj Kohli <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:31:47 -0500

Mary,

Answer below with your questions:

At 04:54 PM 12/02/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>1. Is your program managed as a cost recovery operation?

We try for cost recovery.

>2. Are enterprise-wide licenses funded centrally or are there instances
>where you attempt to recover the cost by charging individual departments?

Some of our licenses are funded centrally but most of them are ones we do
not want to recover costs (for example, anti-virus software and calendar
software). On occasion I do arrange licenses where the costs are
immediately covered by one or more departments. Most other software we try
to do on cost recovery where we purchase and then resell to our user
community. I have been in my job for about 7 years and our campus is very
happy to let me arrange licenses for them. Since we have had it in a
central office we have been able to save money by licensing across departments.

>3. If you charge departments individually, do you pass on only the cost
>of the license or do you charge an amount that seeks to offset
>administrative overhead?

We only charge them the cost of the license.

>4. Do you charge departments a flat fee for unlimited licenses, or do
>you distribute licenses on a per-unit basis to them?

on a per-unit basis

>5. Are you partnering with any outside firms for software licensing
>management and/or distribution?

I am in Canada so this might be different from the US. We do not partner
but have several companies we deal with for software. I have found, after
some shopping around, that I have some very good suppliers at the moment.

Marjorie Kohli
Site License Coordinator
Information Systems and Technology
University of Waterloo