Re: Site License Pricing Models

Jim Lesslie <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:12:21 -0500

At 04:54 PM 2003-02-12 -0500, you wrote:
>1. Is your program managed as a cost recovery operation?

Partially. I am planning to undertake a similar exercise here at Queen's as
there are too many unexplainable inconsistencies with license agreements.
We do try to recover some of the cost of most license agreements, but to
date the intent hasn't been to recover all of the costs. Budget cuts and
the inconsistencies necessitate a review and probable restucturing. For
example, Maple is distributed to staff and faculty without recovery, while
we do have per-license fees for SAS and SPSS.

>2. Are enterprise-wide licenses funded centrally or are there instances
>where you attempt to recover the cost by charging individual departments?

We fund a campus-wide Symantec Anti-Virus license centrally (my
department's budget). For most academic and administrative software, there
is a per-license fee. For several products, we have a per-lab fee rather
than a per-license fee, which in effect caps the cost of that software in a
lab regardless of its size. We made a strong argument to fund the
anti-virus license centrally since we need to do everything possible to
encourage everyone at Queen's to use it - or in other words remove as many
obstacles to using it as we can.

Most of the license agreements are funded by central dollars, and the
University pays for increases or reaps the benefit if costs go down. The
recoveries also go back into the central pot.  So, our role is mostly
negotiating and administering the license agreements, as well as
distribution of licenses.

>3. If you charge departments individually, do you pass on only the cost
>of the license or do you charge an amount that seeks to offset
>administrative overhead?

If by overhead you mean peoples' time, we do not make a practice of trying
to recover $$ for staff time, with a few exceptions like microcomputer
repair. So no, our intent with recoveries is merely to offset some or all
of the cost of the license agreement.

>4. Do you charge departments a flat fee for unlimited licenses, or do
>you distribute licenses on a per-unit basis to them?

Other than for labs, recoveries are per-person, not per-department.

>5. Are you partnering with any outside firms for software licensing
>management and/or distribution?

There are a few instances where we contribute funds to help cover the cost
of a license agreement negotiated by one or more academic departments,
provided enough people outside of that department can use the software.
ESRI is an example. There is no formal policy or equation for this, which
makes me uncomfortable. This is one of the reasons I want to conduct a
review and formalize things better. Decision making around license
agreement funding has been a little too ad-hoc in the past.

We have a computer store in our department which has Select and MOLP
agreements under which they sell licenses at prices much better than
shrinkwrap. We actually played an integral role in convincing Microsoft to
offer a Student Select program. Other than this, we do it all ourselves
inhouse.

>Thank you for your assistance.

I (and I expect others) would be interested in knowing the outcomes of your
review and restructuring process. Can you let us know how it goes? .. Thanks!

.. Jim Lesslie