Re: Site License Pricing Models

Linda Drake <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:37:26 -0700

1. Is your program managed as a cost recovery operation?
Yes, though not exclusively right now. We now recover about 85% of our
costs and I expect that to reach closer to 100% in the future.

2. Are enterprise-wide licenses funded centrally or are there instances
where you attempt to recover the cost by charging individual
departments?
We have no centralized funding for any licenses. We do have a student
computing fee that pays a significant portion of license costs for some
applications we install in student computing facilities.

3. If you charge departments individually, do you pass on only the cost
of the license or do you charge an amount that seeks to offset
administrative overhead?
We strive to recover all of our costs, include overhead such as salary,
benefits, professional development and other operating costs.

4. Do you charge departments a flat fee for unlimited licenses, or do
you distribute licenses on a per-unit basis to them?
That varies based on program and the effort required on our part for
administration. Typically we charge a per-unit fee, but we do have some
tiered-pricing models that reflect decreasing incremental cost to us as
sales volume increases.

5. Are you partnering with any outside firms for software licensing
management and/or distribution?
No though like others we do have a campus bookstore that sells computer
software.

-Linda

--
Linda Drake