Unlimited Licenses and Pricing Models

Mary Griffin <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:57:22 -0500

Hi,

Thank you for all of your replies to my earlier email about License
Pricing Models and your comments about cost recovery models versus
funded models.  I'd like to explore more issues regarding funding for
and pricing of unlimited, campus-wide licenses.  This is a fascinating
topic and I'd like to see what others have to say.

1.    If the license is centrally funded, as is the case for antivirus
software for many of us, where does the subsidy money come from?

2.    When you have an unlimited license and the product family being
distributed is complex (such as a Windows product, a unix product, a
10-pack, and a 25-user lab pack, for example) how do you determine the
pricing for each of those products? Here at Penn we try to maintain the
vendor's product bundles and scale down the price proportionately, but
I'd like to know how others assign prices in such cases.

3.    When you have an unlimited license for a product and want to offer
unlimited licenses to a school or department, how do you manage to
equitably price the product?   If you charge a flat fee, wouldn't the
smaller departments or schools always be at a disadvantage?

Thanks for your feedback!
Mary