Re: Microsoft Campus Program

mknox {Marg Knox} <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:03:04 -0600

Consortiums (or being a large System) has the benefit of making it easier to
negotiate on terms and conditions. The simple reason being that big is more
easily noticeable (and loud). And of course, such a group can more easily
make any Select numbers.

One thing I would like to see in Campus Agreement is recognition, discount
wise, of larger entities such as consortiums or Systems. There are only two
price tiers right now and none represent what a consortium or large System
can deliver in volume. That was why, 4-5 years ago, Microsoft did do
Enterprise Agreements for schools (consortiums or Systems) that were
$1M/year or more, 100k people or more, etc. Now the hassle on EA's (from MS'
perspective) is that each one was handcrafted from the bottom up instead of
using a template. Part of this can be resolved by adding one or two more
tiers in pricing. There is always a savings when quantity can be brought to
bear.

One term and condition that bothers us in any vendors agreement (I have seen
it thrice) is the restriction on publishing benchmarking data. For example,
on SQL server. We are a public university and we feel this infringes on our
mission as well as being counter to first amendment. I have heard Ballmer at
Gartner Group meetings int he past answer this one. He understands what the
customer is saying when in the customer forum, but then gets re-persuaded
when he gets back to MS. He was upfront saying that it was partly to do with
competitive data and that his competitors also do it. We would have no
problem with the term and condition saying that we had to send a copy in for
MS to see, but to just say we can not do it is not right.