Re: License Serving/Key Serving

Linda Matthias <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:37:06 -0700

Debbie,

1) EWU General Access Computing Labs, http://labs.ewu.edu
2) We use KeyServer to monitor license usage by 'controlling' applications.
This is different than 'keying' them.  Controls provide application usage stats
and limit the number of licenses that can be used at any given time.  We
control pretty much every application that runs in the labs including Word,
Excel, Power Point, Access, I.E., Netscape, Chat programs (MSN, AIM, Trillian),
Photoshop, PageMaker, Illustrator, Acrobat full version, DreamWeaver, Flash,
Premiere, and others.
3) KeyServer, costs around $24-$30/workstation depending on quantity.

Suggestions:  In order to effectively use KeyServer for accurate application
usage stats, you will need to implement an idle time restart process in your
labs.  For example, we use ActiveSaver to restart any computers that have not
been used for 20 minutes.  We set the warning time to 5 minutes so students
have plenty of time to Cancel the restart if needed.  If you do not have this
process in place, there is the potential of Word or other programs running all
day long if a student does not close them before leaving.  Therefore the usage
stats are not very accurate.  The restart process in combination with Windows
2000 Pro/XP OS and DeepFreeze (http://www.winselect.com) has greatly reduced
lab maintenance and software problems for our Windows workstations.

This information was provided by our General Access Lab Manager, Carl Combs.

Linda Matthias
Director of Client Services
Eastern Washington University