Re: Attending Microsoft Academic Licensing next week

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:25:14 -0500

Candace's question is especially tough since deciding between renting a
server license (thru Campus Agreement) or acquiring the license via
Select and then whether to put it under Software Assurance would seem to
require knowledge that is readily apparent:
* How often will MS update the product line?
* How quickly will you follow Microsoft's upgrade? For example, we just
went to Exchange 2k.
* Is capital money easier to come by than operating money

We know that Soft. Assurance, on the servers, is 25%/year of the Select
price. That would seem to indicate that if you upgrade more often than
once every 4 years, that paying SA would be better. I did the
calculations at one point on CA pricing for some servers, but don't have
those handy. But I would compare the CA pricing for the server software
to the Select pricing + SA and go with the better deal (assuming you
update every 2-3 years).

Although in reality, we could not makeup our mind and are just waiting.

What have the rest of you done?

Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
COM 17                (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin