Re: Roxio license restrictions

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 May 2003 09:14:27 -0500

ouch

I would start by asking to see the oem license and see if you can find
the language that matches the claim. Or call your computer vendor if it
was bundled and ask to the license.

It may well have language in it that says you can not redistribute
software bundled with other software (the image bit) or it could be they
are relying on the thought that if the oem license does not specifically
allow re-distribution then you can not do the imaging bit or network
updates, as that is doing redistribution. We especially watch for
language in our packages that specifically permit re-distribution (or we
don't do it on our bundles that are CD based or downloadable). Extending
that thought to ghost is a painful one; I'd review the language. I am
also not sure that one can rule out using a network to load a piece of
software (versus dragging box to help desk or a site call) when it is
just the product; but again, the language would need to be carefully
read.

ouch

Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
FAC 210<--NEW         (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin