Re: Sun - Edusoft program

"Karen J. Lukas" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 May 2003 11:08:12 -0400

Linda,

My Sun sales rep stopped by in February/March to talk about the program
before a description was published to Sun's web site.  He stated that it
was a great new program that would let faculty, staff and students download
several applications from Sun to personally owned computers, and that
download would be from Sun directly.  We could download applications to
university owned computers, too, though we'd have to retain our Scholar Pak
agreement for some products.

After looking at the license agreement I called him to ask why states that
installation is restricted to computers "you" control where you is the
institution signing up for the program.  He said he'd report this to Sun,
legal I presume, because he was sure that wasn't what they intended.  Later
he said a change would be made to the language in the license and a new
version would be published by late April that made it clear students and
others could download the covered software to personally owned computers.
I looked at the agreement again a few days ago and it looks the same to me.

It also looks as though we may have to distribute the software from our own
servers rather than having people download from Sun as originally portrayed
by the sales rep.

I won't sign up until I understand the disconnect between word and deed.
If I've misunderstood something I'd be glad to hear from others or hear
from anyone who was able to get Sun strike the restriction from the
license.  How'd you do it?

Karen

--On Wednesday, May 7, 2003 8:48 AM -0600 Linda Drake
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone successfully signed up for this program who could talk to me
> offline about the program? We're running into some contractual and
> logistical issues and I can't tell whether the problem is pervasive or
> unique to our situation. Thanks in advance for pointers.
>
> Linda
>
> --
> Linda Drake
> Manager, Computing Systems