Re: SPSS Increases CSU Price by 300%

"Karen J. Lukas" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:24:06 -0400

As with many types of applications each one has its own strengths and
advocates.  At Carnegie Mellon SPSS is used almost exclusively by our
psychologists, so they license it on their own.  Most others use SAS or
S-Plus for research or for advanced level classes and we license them
centrally.  Most of our departments use Minitab to teach introductory
statistics classes so we also license it centrally and for installation on
student owned as well as university owned computers.  Some of the
psychology faculty members are unhappy with the repeated measures ANOVA
feature in Minitab and they are advocating for central licensing of SPSS
for advanced classes for that reason.  Unless several departments will also
use it for teaching we won't consider it for central licensing.  That has
become one of our acid tests for central licensing.

Karen Lukas
Software Manager for Computing Services
Carnegie Mellon University
Computing Services (CyH 262)