Re: SPSS Increases CSU Price by 300%

"Montefiori, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:12:49 -0500

Yes, we had the same experience last year and will have a similar
experience this year since we will not only renew, but will also
need to increase the number of users covered by our license since
we anticipate increased demand.    We recover the cost of licensing
SPSS from the people on campus who use it.

As long as we can recover the cost, we will continue to license
SPSS.

--On Tuesday, June 17, 2003 6:09 PM -0700 Stafford Cox
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to ask if other universities/colleges have received
> steep increases in the SPSS licensing fee.
>
> The California State University System SPSS fees will increase by
> 300% and we are debating the costs of doing business with such
> companies that appear to take advantage of their success.
>
> We have other statistical software licenses for faculty and
> students, but SPSS is popular.
>
> I'm curious as to what other universities have done in these
> licensing situations.
>
> Find the money and pay it or drop the software?
>
> Thanks in advance for any input.
>
> Stafford Cox
> Academic Computing Services
> CSULB