MSDN services

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:37:00 -0500

I was queried recently on how the new approach to managing MSDN services
(Microsoft Developer's Network) is working...

Of course, moments after my response, some issues lit up:-)

So let me ask you'all. How is it going?

As I understand it, corporations needed a better way to manage their
subscriptions so there is a web site that a local administrator can use
to register people and control what they get from Microsoft (e.g., who
gets media, etc).

Now here within UT System, we do not centrally decide who is or is not a
developer. It is nice to be able to see who is using the services, but
we don't want to get into the middle and slow things down. Two issues
have occurred for us in the last week, well, actually three:

- Our UT System CIO got called by MSDN to let him know that there was
media still to be claimed. But MS can't see who bought what so...
Confusion reigned. And the CIO is not likely to be administering it
anyway:-). So this counts as two issues: the small one being the CIO got
called and the larger one being that there is not always a match between
what is ordered and what is registered

- the real second issue was that one group had trouble registering
someone. Pilot error? Or problem with site, I do not know.

So how is this working for you'all? What do you like and what do you
want different in the licensing/registering of MSDN products...

Margaret Knox         [log in to unmask]
Information Technology Services (ITS)
FAC 210<--NEW         (512) 475-9300/9224
Director,             (512) 475-9282 fax
ITS- Collaboration & Academic Resources
The University of Texas at Austin