Re: Is the new Virtual PC for Mac (etc.) included in the Microsoft Campus Agreement?

Stafford Cox <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:24:45 -0700

Out of curiosity, I pulled the three descriptions of Mac Office off the
Microsoft MacTopia website. My interpretation of the Microsoft Campus
Agreement is that the Virtual PC for Mac would be included in those
agreements which specify "Office Pro" products. If it is indeed included
in Office Professional, then users will be able to access "Access". Of
course, one would not need Virtual PC if Microsoft would simply offer
Access in the Office v.X for Mac version.

************************************************************************************************************************************
Office v. X for Mac Professional Edition

Professional Tools. Complete Compatibility.
This edition of Office v. X includes Virtual PC for Mac Version 6.1 with
Microsoft Windows® XP Professional, a powerful tool that lets you run
Windows-based applications on your Mac. Get the professional tools and
complete compatibility you need for only $499* for the full version, or
$329* for the upgrade. Programs and prices may vary. Please contact
individual resellers for details.Office v. X for Mac Standard Edition

To run Microsoft® Office v. X for Mac Professional Edition, your
computer must meet the following requirements:

*       Processor: G3, Mac OS X-compatible processor or higher
*       Operating System: Mac OS X version 10.1 or later
*       Memory: 128 MB of RAM
*       Hard Disk1: 196 MB of available hard disk space for a default
installation of Office
*       Drives: CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if
installing over a network)
*       Display: Monitor that can display 256 colors and a resolution of 800 x
600 or higher
*       Mouse or compatible pointing device

To use Virtual PC for Mac Version 6.1 for OS X, you need:

*       500MHz native2 G3 or G4 Macintosh with a CD-ROM drive
*       Mac OS X version 10.1.5, or 10.2.1 (Jaguar) or later

To use Virtual PC for Mac Version 6.1 for OS 9, you need:

*       Any native2 G3 or G4 Macintosh with a CD-ROM drive
*       Mac OS 9.2.2

To use the Windows XP Professional Guest OS with Virtual PC for Mac
Version 6.1, you need:

*       256 MB physical RAM (Mac OS X)
*       192 MB physical RAM (Mac OS 9)
*       2 GB free hard disk space

************************************************************************************************************************************
Office v. X for Mac Standard Edition

Take advantage of the new low price on Microsoft® Office v. X Standard
Edition. Office v. X combines compatibility between Macs and PCs with
ease of use. Create rich documents, useful spreadsheets and compelling
presentations, and manage your personal information for only $399* for
the full version, or $239* for the version upgrade of Standard Edition.
It comes with full-featured versions of Word X, Excel X, PowerPoint® X
and Entourage® X. Programs and prices may vary. Please contact
individual resellers for details.

To run Microsoft® Office v. X for Mac Standard Edition, your computer
must meet the following requirements:

*       Processor: G3, Mac OS X-compatible processor or higher
*       Operating System: Mac OS X version 10.1 or later
*       Memory: 128 MB of RAM
*       Hard Disk1: 196 MB of available hard disk space for a default
installation of Office
*       Drives: CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if
installing over a network)
*       Display: Monitor that can display 256 colors and a resolution of 800 x
600 or higher
*       Mouse or compatible pointing device

************************************************************************************************************************************
Office v. X for Mac Student and Teacher Edition

Complete Productivity. Completely Affordable.
Qualified educational users can now get Microsoft® Office v. X Student
and Teacher Edition for only $149*. This special edition can be
installed on up to three computers in your household and comes with full
versions of Word X, Excel X, PowerPoint® X and Entourage® X. Get the
tools and compatibility you need in one affordable package. Programs and
prices may vary. Please contact individual resellers for details.

To run Microsoft® Office v. X for Student and Teacher Edition, your
computer must meet the following requirements:

*       Processor: G3, Mac OS X-compatible processor or higher
*       Operating System: Mac OS X version 10.1 or later
*       Memory: 128 MB of RAM
*       Hard Disk1: 196 MB of available hard disk space for a default
installation of Office
*       Drives: CD-ROM drive (or connection to a local area network if
installing over a network)
*       Display: Monitor that can display 256 colors and a resolution of 800 x
600 or higher
*       Mouse or compatible pointing device

************************************************************************************************************************************
Office 2001 for the Mac

To use Microsoft Office 2001 for Mac, your computer must meet the
following requirements:

*       PowerPC, Mac OS compatible (clock speed of at least 120 MHz recommended)
*       Mac OS 8.1 to 9.x (Mac OS 8.5 or later recommended)
*       32 MB of RAM with at least 1 MB of Virtual Memory for Mac OS 8.1 to
8.6; 48 MB of RAM with at least 1
         MB of Virtual Memory for Mac OS 9.x
*       At least 160 MB of available hard disk space for a default
installation of Office 2001
*       75 MB for a minimum installation of Office 2001
*       80 MB for a default installation of an individual program (Word,
Excel, PowerPoint®)
*       Installation of Value Pack components requires additional hard disk
space. The Office 2001 Value Pack
         offers 120 MB of additional clip art; 40 MB of additional
templates and wizards; and 140 MB of help,
         add-ins, and other components.
*       A CD-ROM drive or a connection to a network if installing from a
network volume
*       A monitor that can display 256 grays or 256 colors and a resolution of
640 x 480 or higher

************************************************************************************************************************************

Elizabeth Shannon wrote:
> Microsoft® Office v. X for Mac now comes in three editions—Standard,
> Professional, and Student and Teacher.

Looks like a pricing program although Virtual PC is part of the
professional bundle. As a user of Virtual PC for  OS 9.x, I'm not sure
about the connection to Office. I use Virtual PC to access Windows
applications unavailable on the Mac.

> Joel Ness wrote:
>
>>There _is_ no Macintosh OFfice Pro since MS only makes a Windows
>>version of Access.
>>
>>The "Pro" in Office Pro for Windows means that it includes Access.
>>
>>There's just one flavor of office for the Mac. Our Campus Software
>>agreement CDs include MS Office 2001 (for older Macs) and MS Office v.X
>>(for newer Macs running OSX).

California State University, Long Beach has a similar program.

--
Stafford G. Cox, Ph.D.