Re: Microsoft Campus Agreement -- Your Opinion

"Montefiori, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:33:17 -0500

The MS Select volume license option:

- allows you to purchase licenses when and if you need to
- provides perpetual licenses
- allows you to participate in the Student Select program
- includes a larger product portfolio (application, system, server
products)

The Campus Agreement option:

- requires you to purchase licenses based upon FTE counts
- requires an annual renewal
- does not provide perpetual licenses
- offers only a subset of products
- penalizes those who do not renew by requiring that the software
covered by the program be deleted or "bought out"

The cost analysis in our case showed that the Select option is more
cost effective.  In addition, we would have had to participate in
both Select and Campus in order to license all of the products
required by our community.  By participating in both agreements, it
makes it harder to meet the purchasing requirements of Select.
Finally, we had participated in Student Select and wished to
continue.

--On Monday, September 15, 2003 5:24 PM -0500 "Lenox, Charlotte"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Campus Agreement makes my life much easier in that I don't have
> to track counts of software and document where the copies are.
> Yes, I'm one of those who's been around since the days when we
> had to do that!  It was a nightmare.
>

> What I don't like is that once you go with Campus Agreement, it's
> almost impossible to drop it.  Of course Microsoft knows this,
> and to some extent, they can then do what they wish with the
> pricing and the terms.  If you decided to drop Campus Agreement,
> you would have NOTHING.  Everything reverts to the product
> versions you had purchased prior to Campus Agreement (NOT the
> versions current when you dropped Campus Agreement).  Assuming
> you had records and could document what that was, the versions
> would all be so old you'd have to buy new anyway.
>

> The Student Option is something we added just last year.  The
> students love it, and even though we've not implemented a way to
> recoup the cost from the students, it is worth it.  With all the
> other rising costs, it's really nice to be able to give the
> students a real bargain for a change.  Our Computer Store has
> even worked a deal with Dell that gets Office loaded at the
> factory for our students at no cost to them, based on our MSCA
> Student Option.
>

> Charlotte Lenox
>
> IT Business Manager
>
> Baylor University