Re: Microsoft Campus Agreement -- Your Opinion

Tony Townsend <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:40:09 -0400

One and all -

I echo what Karen Montefiori has said as to the merits of Select vs. Campus
agreements. It was hard enough to think about asking someone to cut a $1M
check each year, but then to have to go back and ask every year was what
put the kibosh on it for me.

That said, we probably spend about $750K a year on our Select agreement but
it is lots of little checks form lots of different funding sources, which
is much more doable. If our budget gets frozen (as has happened recently)
we don't have to worry about where the annual fee will come from, we just
stop buying individual licenses.

We did choose NOT to participate in Student Select as Microsoft would not
let us sell computers pre-imaged with a Student Select Windows or Office
license.