View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  March 2003

CIO March 2003

Re: Desktop and Laptop Replacement Cycle

"Brian D. Voss" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:10:33 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

Ron,

Rather than go into excrutiating detail, let me just point you toward a
contribution we've made to the Educause Effective Practices site:

http://www.educause.edu/ep/ep_item_detail.asp?ITEM_ID=50

That includes some links to more info on what we've done at IU.

Basically, we worked with campuses/schools/departments to build life-cycle
funding into their base budgets.  And we work with Purchasing to do
periodic bids to get the best pricing.  Our current standard desktop unit
costs just about $740.  The original LC funding proposals actually had the
units at the $1000-$1200 range -- so in effect, as long as these prices
hold (which while they've increased, they've been in the $600-$800 range
for three years now) means the departments actually have *more* than they
need in these budgets.  Which is good, because they 'skipped a payment'
last year when the University got hit with a 7% one-time reduction.  Yet
another unplanned benefit.

You can also check out our computerguide site
(http://computerguide.indiana.edu/) for details on these deals.

Call or write if I can answer specific questions.

-Brian

Brian D. Voss
Associate Vice President for Telecommunications
Office of the Vice President for Information Technology and CIO
Indiana University
 and
Chief Operating Officer
Pervasive Technology Labs at Indiana University