CIO March 2003

Re: Platforms....

"Justin D. Sipher" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Mar 2003 07:48:46 -0500

Good point on the support implication of computers vs textbooks and
you are right that there must be support boundaries.  This is
something we struggle with like almost everywhere I presume.  In our
case we have drawn the boundaries in a way that works for us.  Maybe
because we have a pretty strong base of IT staff (but not a large
staff) fluent with supporting PC's and Mac's the platform issue is
not a major one for us.  In fact I couldn't argue that a single
platform would change our support costs.

In our case we have focused efforts on drawing the boundaries at the
application level with emphasis on multiplatform applications.  We
promote and support Eudora as our POP/SMTP e-mail client.  We don't
support Outlook, Netscape, etc..  Not because they don't work, it is
just because we can't master everything.  Same thing with MS Word vs
WordPerfect.  So this is similar to what some are talking about doing
at the OS or hardware layer.  Actually, on the PC hardware side we
have standardized on Gateway.  Not because they are better than DELL,
just we have a support relationship with Gateway that allows us to
support than hardware better than DELL.

Maybe my perspective on this is based upon our school make-up.  We
are a liberal arts college with a large School of Music as well as a
School of Education.  Both of these areas feel a strong Mac focus is
necessary/desired.  However Computer Science as well as Business &
Economics feel that Windows is the predominant tool they should be
using.  Throw Linux here in there in some of the sciences.  So, we
have tried (far from perfect) to support the OS's and core common
applications with the faculty being self-sufficient for many of the
specific curricular applications.

I think this is a good discussion.  I hope that in our challenging
fiscal times we don't make decisions with long-term implications that
*could* hinder the academic mission of faculty, department, or
schools because of trying to save a few bucks now.

Thanks all for your contributions.

...Justin