CIO August 2004

Re: Start of school

Dave Koontz <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:40:55 -0400

A couple of silly questions. So, please bear with me here. This approach
seems like a major resource expenditure with very little net security
gain. There are MUCH better solutions out there IMO. Just do a Google
search.

1) Why would you want EVERY student to join your domain? Forgetting for
a second about the price difference of XP Home and Pro.... You don't
want their PC's sharing or attempting NULL / Malformed SMB Packet scans
against your servers.. You can't apply SUS updates to them; --- if you
do they will not be able to get OS updates while off campus. Thus
crippling them any time they are off campus.

2) So, you have 5 people working constantly at turning these PC's over.
You are making a lot of assumptions about times to complete, and I doubt
they could be turned out every 30 minutes... or 10 PC's per hour. Even
at this BEST case scenario, you are looking at 80 PC's per day, if
nobody eats lunch.. What will the students and faculty think when their
students can't do their school work for two weeks? Now lets complicate
things like we saw during the last school year, a NEW exploit of BLASTER
/ Welchia proportions is launched.... will you will take the network
down for another two+ weeks? And then what IF another exploit hits right
behind that?

3) Okay, let's briefly mention Malware and Spyware. Many of these can be
just as bad as viruses. How do you protect your network against these
exploits that any user can pick up at ANY time while they are using the
internet? Some of these have Keyloggers which are yet another variation
of threat.

4) Once a student is DEEMED clean, what are the safegaurds in place to
monitor them during the rest of the school year to ensure they are not
currently infected with the lastest exploit (OS, Virus, Worm, Malware)?
Further, how do you protect other student PC's that are vulnerable to a
new exploit from others in the dorm or VLAN that are already infected?

Maybe I am wrong, but this sure sounds like a lot of work that could be
required to be done time and time again as new exploits are discovered,
and is a major detractor from students ability to LEARN or participate
in network based school projects and activities. Perhaps a better
explaination will resolve my confusion.