Re: Software as a Service license terms

Theresa M Rowe <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:41:41 -0500

You are right to question how you negotiate this.  We've
completely redone our contract strategy here, after one very
negative experience.

It is important, if you go the ASP route, to list specific
performance measures in your contract.  It is also important
to have a full security provision described in the contract.

I suggest you start with SANS:
http://www.sans.org  Click on Sample Policies at the top.
There are two sample ASP policies:
Application Service Provider Policy - Defines minimum
security criteria that an ASP must execute in order to be
considered for use on a project by the organization.

Application Service Provider Standards - Outlines the
minimum security standards for the ASP. This policy is
referenced in the ASP Policy above.

What is in these policies needs to get written into the
contract.

Another hint:  If you have internal data quality standards,
these need to get written into the contract.  This is one
thing that saved us.

Also, I suggest you look at Caucus, the
organization for IT procurement:  http://www.caucusnet.com
They have a lot of sessions on working with vendors, and
much of the material is including software licensing and
ASPs.

I suggest you have a strong software policy at your
university - we've just been working on rewriting ours and
it is attached.

Bottom line: Everything that you do internally and take for
granted:  data quality standards, communication of new data
quality standards, security, testing, test environment,
approval process, change management - all of your processes -
 need to be written into the contract, along with specific
performance measures.

Theresa Rowe