SAS Home Use Amendment

Mary Griffin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:06:35 -0400

Hi,

We are migrating from SAS's APP program  to the EAS license program.

With the APP program we had unlimited distribution, and, each license
also included the ability to install on a personal machine for "home
use" as long as the use was for university-related projects.    It
also  gave us the ability to distribute to students.

In the last couple of years SAS has told us that they are
discontinuing the APP program in favor of the Education
  Alliance program (EAS) and we have to purchase blocks of licenses
based on operating system (in our case Windows, Mac, WinServer,
Solaris primarily) and whether they are used for Teaching/Research or
Admin use.  We received the new Supplement to sign, and it listed the
complete breakdown of quantities, o/s, and T/R vs. Admin use.

To migrate to EAS we are also being asked to sign an Amendment to the
Supplement called the "Home Use Amendment" . It is only by our
signing this that we are able to  distribute the software for
installation on a fac/staff's personal machine or to a student for
installation on their machine.

In this Home Use Amendment is a paragraph that says that the  Univ
accepts full responsibility for the person adhering to  the license.
In later clarifying emails with SAS, they have told me that it means
that the Univ will pay damages to SAS in the event  that anyone who
has installed it on their personal computer  fails to adhere to the
terms of the license.

So I have two questions and would greatly appreciate hearing from any
institutions using the SAS EAS program:

    1.  Did you have to sign the Home Use Amendment to the Supplement
in order to distribute to fac/staff/students for installation on
their personally-owned computers?

    2.  If you  did sign one, then how do you comply with/enforce this
term in the contract?

Thanks very much for your feedback.

Best regards, Mary

--