Re: Software as a Service license terms

"Poarch, Deb" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:51:12 -0800

First, I'll say that I don't have a contract yet, but we're working on
contracts for two applications.  I will share what we come up with -
like within the next couple of weeks I hope.

The use of ASPs is starting to spread at a rapid clip in the Washington
Community and Technical College system and I'm struggling to get up to
speed on all the issues, trying to circumvent security problems I see
ahead.  There is some question in my mind about the need for the data to
reside on their servers, rather, we just use the software.  Data does
get touched or passed at some point, but I think I'm hearing from some
vendors that they actually don't house the dbs.  A problem I see
developing for us is that the instructional side of the house may be
purchasing these products without as much IT oversight as traditional
software purchases have had.  We have not developed any standard
policies for using such services, and I am a little nervous about what
lies ahead.  I would like to see a lot of discussion on this topic.
Thanks for raising it again.  I will share my contracts soon.

Deb

Deborah Poarch
Procurement Services Manager
Center for Information Services
Supporting Washington State's Community and Technical Colleges
PH: 425-803-9783
Fax: 425-803-9650