FW: Licensing & Policy Summit for Software Sharing in Higher Education

Marg Knox <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:46:14 -0500

FYI, from  colleagues at Indiana and at UCOP, please see below

Marg Knox
The University of Texas
(from test tablet)

________________________________

 Wheeler, Bradley C
Sent: Sat 9/23/2006 7:47 PM

Subject: Licensing & Policy Summit for Software Sharing in Higher Education

Colleagues,

At various meetings and phone calls, many of you have heard me mention
the forthcoming "Licensing & Policy Summit for Software Sharing in
Higher Education."  In short, we've learned how to write and share open
source software together, but higher education would benefit from more
thinking about our choices in some policies, licenses, and contributor
agreements.

With assistance from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Dan Greenstein and
I are convening a summit on 18 October to work on these matters.  Much
of the work before and after the summit will take place with a broad
community via an open listserv and an online discussion forum as the
summit itself is necessarily very small to have productive workgroups.
Regrettably, there is no efficient process to involve everyone in
face-to-face meetings on an international scale who may wish to
contribute.  We are hopeful, however, that the online forum for
discussing the work before and after the summit will involve all who
have interest.

These are not easy policy and legal matters, and the discussion topics
flow from the real questions and experiences of multiple application
software projects and multiple institutions as we have been working
together.

The homepage for the Summit is at http://summit2006.osnext.org <http://summit2006.osnext.org/> .  The
"Foreword and Orientation Note" link and the link to the CollabTools.org
discussion site (registration required) are the place to start.  The
topics are suitable for your University Legal Counsel, Technology
Transfer Office, Software Development Managers, Developers, Project
Leaders, and others who have interest in how we collaborate and share
software for the international higher education community.

We are hopeful that this discussion, the Summit meeting, and continued
online discussion afterwards can help provide some useful guidance for
the future.  We will be compiling the work of the Summit as a topical
tutorial that may be useful as institutions and their staff think about
how to participate with open source application projects.

Please feel free to forward this note to others who may have interest.

Sincerely,

Brad Wheeler
IU Chief Information Officer and IU-Bloomington Dean of Information
Technology
Indiana University

Daniel Greenstein
Associate Vice Provost, Scholarly Information
University of California Office of the President
University Librarian and Executive Director
California Digital Library